simple

6.13.2009

I've recently started to enjoy a TV show. It's not so strange except that this is an old show, its been around for years. And it's a cartoon, and I'm generally above the age of normal cartoon watchers. It's a show called King of the Hill. It's about a man named Hank Hill, a propane salesman living in Texas. The thing that really attracts me to the show is it's values. Hank has a family and a job, and his whole life is about doing his best at work to support and enjoy his family. It's funny to watch him deal with modern, complicated issues like workers comp, yoga, and various social issues. His ways of dealing with these issues make me very happy. He can't believe that people can be dishonest. He's appalled by the notion. And he lives a very simple life of hard work, loving family and friends, and doing what the Bible says. I love it.

I think I know why the show was set in Texas. I had a conversation about the differences between northeners and southeners today. I've noticed this in college. My friends from the north have very different mindsets than those in the south. People from the north know what hard work is. They are some of the hardest workers I know. They find meaning and identity in their work. The people I know from the south also work hard. But they usually won't place their meaning and identity in it. Of course, I am generalizing, and there are always exceptions. But if you look at my life as an example. Whatever my job is, I'll work hard in it. But acquiring money and advancing is not my only goal. Money is definitely a good thing to have. And it's important to make enough of it. But I think that hapiness can and should be found in simpler things.

There's a song I like. It was actually made up for a TV show, a cartoon I like as a kid. But it was sung by Randy Travis. Here are the lyrics:

You can offer me a diamond-plated pearl;
You can send me all the riches in the world;
You can tempt me with the palaces of kings;
I'd give 'em back in a big ol' sack and keep the simple things

I've got the simple things; I've got the rain in spring,
Got spicy chicken wings, and French-fried onion rings

You can line me up a mile of limousines;
For me it don't add up to a hill o' beans;
I got no hankerin' for grabbin' your brass ring;
It's crystal clear - I'll stay right here and keep the simple things

I've got the summer breeze, got 16 cans of peas,
A two-speed window fan when it's 93 degrees,
So forgive me for not grabbin' your brass ring;
It's crystal clear - I'll stay right here and keep the simple things
It's crystal clear - I'll stay right here and keep the simple things

I love that song. More money is not the ultimate goal. Hapiness can be found in french-friend onion rings or, my favorite, "a two-speed window fan when it's 93 degrees."

So that's my idea of keeping life simple. I think people add too much complication to life sometimes. So keep it simple.

0 comments:

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP